• The most prestigious award in the world. It was set-up in 1900 under the will of Alfred Bernhard Nobel. The Nobel Prizes are presented annually on 10th December (The death anniversary of the founder). It is given in the fields of Peace, Literature, Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine (From 1901) and Economics (from 1969).
Winners of Nobel Prize from India
Winner Field Year
Abhijit Banerjee Economics 2019
Kailash Satyarthi Peace 2014
Mother Teresa Peace 1979
Hargobind Khorana Medicine 1968
CV Raman Physics 1930
Rabindranath Tagore Literature 1913
Amartya Sen Economics 1998
• It is awarded for the outstanding achievements in the music industry National Academy for Recording Arts and Science, America. It was started in 1959. Pt. Ravi Shankar got this 3 times.
• Instituted in 1917 and named after US publisher Joseph Pulitzer. It is conferred annually in the United States for the accomplishments in Journalism, literature and music.
• Instituted in 1957. Name after Ramon Magsaysay, the former President of Philippines. The award is given annually on 31st August, the birth anniversary of Magsaysay, for outstanding contribution in public service, Community Leadership. Journalism, Literature and Creative Arts and International Understanding.
Man Booker Prize
• Instituted in 1968, is the highest literary award of the world, set-up by the Booker Company and the British Pulishers Association along the lines of the Pulitzer Prize of USA.
Right Livelihood Award
• The Right Livelihood Award was established in 1980. It is also referred as ‘Alternative Nobel Prize’. It is given to persons to honour those “working on practical and exemplary solutions to the most urgent challenges facing the world today.”
• Instituted in 1929, these awards are conferred annually by the Academy of It is awarded for the outstanding Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences, USA, in recognition of outstanding contribution in the various fields of film making. The Indian films nominated for Oscars are Mother India (1957), Salaam Bombay (1988), Lagaan (2001). Bhanu Athaiya was the first Indian to win an Oscar Award in 1982 for costume design in Gandhi Movie.
UN Human Right Awards
• Instituted in 1966, this award is given every 5 years for individual contributions to establishment of human rights.
– DONE BY RIHAN AFSAL 8B